Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Develops, implements, and coordinates the Safety program for the assigned Market Area of $400 Millions or greater in revenue.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Serves as safety manager/advisor for Area VP.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates safety program for the market area, and monitors work processes, procedures and expenses to drive team performance toward departmental and organizational goals.
- Develops annual safety budget, and analyzes data versus year-to-date data and prior year budget.
- Monitors compliance of districts to M2Z initiatives as well as DOT and OSHA regulations.
- Performs audits to include processes, facilities and equipment.
- Serves as a liaison with the People Department to develop and implement technical training needs of districts.
- Trains and mentors field operational management in safety process, and oversees all operational safety training. Conducts “Train the trainer” sessions as needed.
- Reviews significant accidents/incidents including field investigations in order to indentify route cause.
- Provides hazard assessment, including identification of hazards and corrective action plans.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Serves as a team leader for Safety Operational Assessment Review (SOAR).
- Participates in Corporate Safety Committees.
- Works closely with the Risk Management team to review and assess claims and opportunities in order to manage risk associated with safety compliance.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of non-supervisory employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of full-time employees, including: Safety Managers.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 7 years of managerial work experience in Operations and/or Safety (in addition to education requirement).