Composting your yard and food waste helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve soil quality, reduce the need for chemicals and fertilizers and save water.
Acceptable Yard and Food Waste:
- Food Scraps: Meats, dairy products, fruits and vegetables, breads, eggshells and nutshells, coffee grounds, and tea bags.
- Food-soiled Paper: Pizza boxes, paper towels & napkins, non-shiny paper plates and cups, paper egg cartons, paper grocery bags with food scraps, and coffee filters.
- Yard Debris: Grass, leaves, weeds, pine needles, thatch, plant trimmings, small amounts of sod, and branches less than 3 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet in length.
- Collection Schedule:
Yard and food waste are collected weekly from subscribers from March – November and monthly and on the first pick up day of the month of December February.
Extra Yard Trimmings
There is a charge for additional yard trimmings that are not inside the cart.
- Paper yard bags (available at home and garden stores), or
- 32-gal cans with handles & lids (65 lb limit) labeled “Yard” or
- Bundles tied with sisal twine (4’x2′ limit)
* Yard trimmings are not accepted in plastic bags.